Monday, January 17, 2011

Roid Rage...

Okay, so I know I haven't been holding up my end with the blog this week, partly because I had writer's block, and partly because Miss Bear-a was on steroids this week, which is not fun, at least to those of us in the fray. To an innocent bystander, someone outside looking in, this is probably freakin' hilarious! The steroids are a part of her treatment, and necessary so that she'll grow properly, but it seems unfair on so many levels that once a month I have a little tiny Hulk on my hands...

The best and worst part are the cravings. The steroids make her RAVENOUS, and give her the strangest cravings. Last month, it was spaghetti. The month before that, red pepper hummus and Fritos. Before that, my garlic mashed potatoes. This month, Mac and Cheese from El Pollo Loco. I tried to make her "real" mac and cheese using my handy-dandy Betty Crocker Cookbook from the 70's, and apparently, it "did not taste very good" (although Daddy liked it just fine, so I don't think it was me). So, I spent about $60 buying sides of mac and cheese from the drive through, going about every other day, because, call me crazy, I thought buying FOUR SIDES AT A TIME would last her awhile! Yeah, try two days, at best. This is the way it works. You buy her "flavor of the month", and lots of it. You give it to her three meals a day, because she refuses to eat anything else. By the end of the day, she has a big round belly and she is waddling all over the house and yelling at everyone like a little tiny pregnant person. To an innocent bystander, hilarious! To us, not so much...

Then there are the moodswings. Lovely, lovely moodswings. One minute, she is kissing my face as hard as she can, telling me I am the best mom ever. EVER. The next minute, she is throwing a Bible at my head, because she was tired of holding it.(I am NOT kidding. I half expected her to yell, "I am FILLED with Christ's love!!!" :))

Now here we are, at the end of the week, she is at least five pounds heavier, and she is having trouble walking and breathing. Not good, but the doctors all assure me that it's normal, that it will go away in a few days once the steroids clear her system and she goes back to her normal eating habits. The weight will come off, they assure me. Her face will lose the swollen, puffy look. My little girl will come back. Until next month, when the steroids come around again...

No comments:

Post a Comment