Saturday, January 8, 2011

Book Choices...

So, I got away for a bit the other day, cashing in one of the coupons for free babysitting my mom gave me for Christmas, and decided to hit Borders on the way home, since I couldn't find anything suitable online. Well, the pickings were slim, being after Christmas and all, but they had a well-stocked Bargain Bin. So, long story short, I bought two books I've never heard of, but that sounded interesting, and a V.C. Andrews called Daughter Of Darkness, which fits into the cheesy vampire novel and cheesy romance category, and is yet surprisingly neither. The approach is interesting. It is about a male vampire who adopts little girls in their infancy and raises them, with the help of a strict housekeeper, who is alluded to be a witch of some sort, and then the elder sister trains the younger one after her to lure men back to the house for the father to prey upon. Lorelei, the main character, (LOVE that name, but I don't know if I could get away with that name...Lorelei Gomez? Pretty heavy for a little girl...) seems to be doing great, until she falls in love with the first guy she's supposed to be luring in. Pretty interesting, and a nice escape. I am halfway through.

The other two books I found are If I Stay, by Gayle Forman, about a girl who dies and has to choose between moving on in the afterlife or staying behind to look after her loved ones, and Wit's End, by Karen Joy Fowler, the author of The Jane Austen Book Club, about a woman who visits the home of her writer godmother and discovers that one of her godmother's characters, a murderer, is named after her father. Is it fact or fiction?

So, yeah, those are my choices. I think they are good ones, and it did me good to be digging through the bargain bin, reading blurbs on the back covers, and discovering some fabulous reads. I will let you know soon if it was worth the hour I spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment